I have started a number of new projects as autumn is flying in here and I need to get some warmth knit up, pronto! Along with the Aidez I mentioned in my last post, I have gone up another level in complexity and have started Imogen Wool by Carrie Bostick Hoge.
It is gorgeous and I have been eyeing it’s shortsleeved predecessor for months, but didn’t dare try it, as my chart reading skills are still pretty basic.
After my successes with the Aidez cables, though, and as I need to continue to trade off knitting projects to give my wrists a break from the thick Cascade Eco+, I figured I would give it a try.
What did I have to lose?
I got a couple days in before I realised it would be much too large on the 4mm needles I was using, so frogged and started again on 3.5mm and went down a size.
It made the yarn really tight, but I didn’t want to start dealing with mathematical mods again on this one – giving myself a break, supposedly – and was already at the bottom of the sizing for the pattern.
Still curled right after the garter band. Gulp.
I panicked and went to the Ravely Forums for help. Those forums are AMAZING. Within minutes I had opinions from people all over the world! Ok, so some of it was conflicting, but it was so nice to have the support and suggestions.
I got some great links to info on hems and solutions from TECHknitting.
You can see how the new, unsteamed part, on the needles on the right hand side is still curling but the hem is now sitting flat. PHEW.
Only now, I am not so sure I will have enough yarn for sleeves…