Don’t know WHAT is up with WordPress lately. Have they stopped updating the software or something? I just realised that this post below from weeks ago never went live.
Thanks post scheduler!!! Hmmph
Here it is, be-lately.
I am STILL fumbling along with my Immie, and despairing a little at my choice of thicker yarn, as it has screwed me up quite a few times in this project!
Why do I do this to myself? This project was supposed to be a straighforward one.
I had finished the body with it’s complex lace and felt I was nearly done – then had troubles with the arms. Again. Too wide/too frumpy looking this time – so frogged and retried several times before giving up and going for short garter sleeves. I had to decrease awkwardly at the back of the arm to make them fit.
I have decided that arms/arm holes are my knitting Achilles heel (no sock pun intended!). I have to find a way to work them out better, as at the moment they seem to go buggy every time. The easiest time I have had with them was on my first cardi, Miriam. Ridiculous!
Thinking it through, it is likely because I actually – and here is the crux of it- followed the pattern as written instead of modifying things.
Also in my list of pain and suffering on this project, I ended up frogging and redoing the neck AGAIN – 3rd go – as the bind off I used the first time was too stretchy and loose and looked horrid. The left image below is the yarnover bind off after blocking, believe it or not.
I replaced it with a K2tog bind off – my new stretchy go-to for garter edges, which blends in a bit with the garter and gives a dense/solid but stretchy line. It is ok now, though I may still cover it up the whole nasty business with a thick cowl left over from the original sweater I frogged this yarn from.
The straw that broke my humpy camel back was when I tried it on after finishing the neckline and decided that and it feels a bit short for cold weather… so frogged the bottom, this time around, and tried adding a half repeat of Frost Flowers. However, I couldn’t seem to match up the pattern the other way around, nearly lost what is left of my mind, and gave up. I am now adding a thick garter border at bottom to match sleeves.
…only to find that it has launched itself at me and cracked me in the chin.
I am hoping I can bring myself to redo it in the intended weight yarn with long sleeves one day.