This is a post of warning and woe.
Don’t EVER use an old-school thermometer for dyeing yarn-or anything else, really. They look super cool, but are not worth the risk. I just had a bit of a scare…here’s the story.
I furiously knit up some mitts yesterday in what was left of my yellow organic merino, thinking I would dye them up when done.
They fit perfectly, and for my first attempt at full mitts, I was pretty chuffed.
I popped them in a dye bath and waited for magic. And waited. And waited.
I couldn’t figure out why the dye wasn’t exhausting, so pulled out the thermometer to check, as I couldn’t read it for some strange reason.
The end had snapped off.
I nearly had a heart attack. Not only was there mercury floating about in my dye bath…but it was in my KITCHEN.
I grabbed the pot and ran it out the back door.
It turns out that anything that comes in contact with mercury has to be disposed of as hazardous waste, and as the dye bath which contained the mercury also contained my mittens…well. You know the rest.
What a bummer. I was really liking the way the dye was taking more strongly in some places, but was going for a deeper purple.
Oh. And I also have to dispose of my dye pot, etc. to boot.